Alkynes are used in the preparation of many other compounds. The uses of ethyne, the first member of alkynes are listed below:
1. Ethyne is used as the basic material for making many other organic compounds such as ethanoic acid, ethanal, acrylic acid, etc.
2. Ethyne is used for preparing starting material for many useful polymers. For example, vinyl chloride is the starting material for PVC whereas chloroprene is the starting material for synthetic rubber neoprene.
3. For illumination as in hawker’s lamps.
4. For producing oxy-acetylene flame used in cutting and welding of iron.
5. For the artificial ripening of fruits.
6. Many organic solvents such as trichloroethane are prepared starting from ethyne.